(1 January 1899 - 1972), ID# 11
Mary McGovern|b. 1 Jan 1899\nd. 1972|p11.htm|Patrick McGovern|b. 6 Mar 1874\nd. 30 Dec 1946|p13.htm|Mary Jardine|b. 22 Apr 1878|p12.htm|Edward McGovern|b. c 1838\nd. 14 Feb 1901|p95.htm|Margaret Hart|b. c 1839\nd. 3 Nov 1875|p96.htm|Thomas Jardine|b. c 1844\nd. 29 Dec 1912|p97.htm|Mary Blair|b. c 1846\nd. 6 Jan 1882|p98.htm|
|Father||Patrick McGovern2,1,3 (6 Mar 1874 - 30 Dec 1946)|
|Mother||Mary Jardine2,1,3 (22 Apr 1878 - )|
Mary McGovern, daughter of Patrick McGovern and Mary Jardine, was born on 1 January 1899 in Strathaven, Lanarkshire, at 10 Sandknowe.2,1
Mary McGovern appeared in the 1901 census of Strathaven, Lanarkshire, at 10 Sandknowe, in her parents' household. She was described as the 2 year old daughter of Patrick.1
In 1922, Mary was a Domestic Servant.3
Mary McGovern married Arthur O'Neill, son of Samuel O'Neill and Agnes Devan, after Banns, according to the rites and ceremonies of the Roman Catholic Church on 22 April 1922 at St Mary's Roman Catholic Chapel, Hamilton, Lanarkshire. The marriage was conducted by William McAvery. Their witnesses were Arthur's brother James O'Neill of 19 Moore Street, Cadzow and Hannah McIvell of 21 Portland Place.3
Mary and Arthur emigrated on 24 January 1930 to Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, from Glasgow, on board the SS Cameronia. They arrived on 03 Feb 1930 with £35, giving their Canadian contact as a Mr George Pennycook (friend) of Sydney Mines, Nova Scotia.4,5 They returned on 5 October 1931 to Glasgow from Montreal, on board the Athenia. Arthur was described as a Carpenter. The family was listed at the end of the third class passengers, under the heading "Deports".4,6
Mary McGovern died in 1972 in Hamilton, South Lanarkshire.
Children with Arthur O'Neill
- Mary O'Neill
- Samuel O'Neill 7,8
- Agnes O'Neill
- Arthur Devan O'Neill
|Charts||Ancestors of Mary McGovern|
Descendants of Charles O'Neill
Descendants of Peter McGovern
- Online image of the 1901 Census for Scotland, Lanarkshire, Avondale, GROS ref: Parish RS 13/621.
- Copy birth certificate of Mary McGovern, born 1899, Avondale (Strathaven) (General Register Office for Scotland, Parish 621, entry 9).
- Online image marriage registration of Arthur O'Neill and Mary McGovern, 1922, in Hamilton, as viewed on http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ (General Register Office for Scotland).
- Information supplied by Arthur O'Neill to Alison O'Neill, 2002.
- SS Cameronia, 03 Feb 1930 in Canadian Passenger Lists, 1865-1935. http://www.ancestry.co.uk: Ancestry.
- SS Athenia, 31 Oct 1931 in Canadian Passenger Lists, 1865-1935. http://www.ancestry.co.uk: Ancestry.
- Garaldine Markle. "Descendants of James Devan/Devon and of Charles O'Neill". Compiled 28 Oct 2004. Hamilton, Lanarkshire.
- Online image death registration of Samuel O'Neill, died 1924, in Hamilton, as seen on http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ (General Register Office for Scotland).
Please note that the information in this section of the site is for my direct ancestors only. Basic facts for the wider connections of my ancestors can be found in the Database section. To contact me, please use the link in the footer. Thank you!