(25 February 1899 - 18 April 1976), ID# 10
Arthur O'Neill|b. 25 Feb 1899\nd. 18 Apr 1976|p10.htm|Samuel O'Neill|b. 9 Apr 1863\nd. 24 Jun 1923|p50.htm|Agnes Devan|b. 28 Jun 1871\nd. 30 Apr 1928|p51.htm|Charles O'Neill|b. c 1821\nd. 17 Mar 1871|p68.htm|Mary Hamill|b. c 1831\nd. b 1923|p69.htm|James Devan|b. c 1843\nd. 15 Jun 1920|p71.htm|Annie Boyd|b. c 1840\nd. 5 Apr 1914|p70.htm|
|Father||Samuel O'Neill1,2 (9 Apr 1863 - 24 Jun 1923)|
|Mother||Agnes Devan1,2 (28 Jun 1871 - 30 Apr 1928)|
Arthur O'Neill, son of Samuel O'Neill and Agnes Devan, was born on 25 February 1899 in Airdrie, Lanarkshire, at 3 South Nimmos Street.1,3
Arthur was the sixth of eleven children. His siblings were Samuel (b & d 15 Mar 1892), Agnes (b & d 31 Dec 1892), Charles (1893 - 1949), James (1895 - 1967), John (1897 - 1942), Mary (1901 - 1983), Annie (1905 - 1984), Hugh (1908 - 1955), Thomas (d 22 Aug 1909, aged 37 days) and Margaret (1913 - 1946). Note that three of the children (Samuel, Agnes and Thomas) did not survive infancy.
Arthur O'Neill appeared in the 1901 census of Airdrie, New Monkland, Lanarkshire, at 3 South Nimmos Street, in his parents' household.4
In 1922, Arthur was a Coal Miner.2
Arthur O'Neill married Mary McGovern, daughter of Patrick McGovern and Mary Jardine, after Banns, according to the rites and ceremonies of the Roman Catholic Church on 22 April 1922 at St Mary's Roman Catholic Chapel, Hamilton, Lanarkshire. The marriage was conducted by William McAvery. Their witnesses were Arthur's brother James O'Neill of 19 Moore Street, Cadzow and Hannah McIvell of 21 Portland Place.2
Arthur registered the death of his one day old son, Samuel O'Neill, in 1924 in Hamilton, Lanarkshire. His occupation was recorded then as a Coal Miner.5
Arthur registered the death of his mother, Agnes Devan, in 1928 in Cadzow, Hamilton, Lanarkshire.6
Arthur and Mary emigrated on 24 January 1930 to Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, from Glasgow, on board the SS Cameronia. They arrived on 03 Feb 1930 with £35, giving their Canadian contact as a Mr George Pennycook (friend) of Sydney Mines, Nova Scotia.7,8 They returned on 5 October 1931 to Glasgow from Montreal, on board the Athenia. Arthur was described as a Carpenter. The family was listed at the end of the third class passengers, under the heading "Deports".7,9
Prior to his death, Arthur lived at 76 Albany Close, West Green Road, Tottenham, London. He was described as a retired Home Office Messenger.3
Arthur O'Neill died on 18 April 1976, aged 77, in Tottenham, London, at The Prince of Wales' Hospital. The cause of death was given as carcinoma of the prostate.3
Children with Mary McGovern
- Mary O'Neill
- Samuel O'Neill 10,5
- Agnes O'Neill
- Arthur Devan O'Neill
|Charts||Ancestors of Arthur O'Neill|
Descendants of Charles O'Neill
Descendants of Peter McGovern
- Online image birth registration of Arthur O'Neill, 1899, in New Monkland (Airdrie), as seen on http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ (General Register Office for Scotland).
- Online image marriage registration of Arthur O'Neill and Mary McGovern, 1922, in Hamilton, as viewed on http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ (General Register Office for Scotland).
- Copy death certificate of Arthur O'Neill, died 1976, Haringey (Registrar General for England and Wales, vol 12, page 1854, entry 220).
- Online image of the 1901 Census for Scotland, Lanarkshire, New Monkland, GROS ref: Parish 651.
- Online image death registration of Samuel O'Neill, died 1924, in Hamilton, as seen on http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ (General Register Office for Scotland).
- Copy death certificate of Agnes Devan, died 1928, Hamilton (General Register Office for Scotland, Parish 647, entry 214).
- Information supplied by Arthur O'Neill to Alison O'Neill, 2002.
- SS Cameronia, 03 Feb 1930 in Canadian Passenger Lists, 1865-1935. http://www.ancestry.co.uk: Ancestry.
- SS Athenia, 31 Oct 1931 in Canadian Passenger Lists, 1865-1935. http://www.ancestry.co.uk: Ancestry.
- Garaldine Markle. "Descendants of James Devan/Devon and of Charles O'Neill". Compiled 28 Oct 2004. Hamilton, Lanarkshire.
Please note that the information in this section of the site is for my direct ancestors only. Basic facts for the wider connections of my ancestors can be found in the Database section. To contact me, please use the link in the footer. Thank you!